Favorites of 2008: Music
Ah, January. I guess it’s finally time for me to list my favorite albums of ’08. Most people tend to make this sort of post in December but what can I say? I procrastinate? Most likely.
Anyway, I couldn’t narrow it down to just ten favorites. So here goes:
Favorite 15 (+1) albums of 2008
16. Beach House – Devotion
15. Human Highway – Moody Motorcycle
14. The Gaslight Anthem – The ’59 Sound
13. Albert Hammond, Jr. – ¿Cómo Te Llama?
12. The Notwist – The Devil, You + Me
11. Death Cab for Cutie – Narrow Stairs
10. Weezer – Weezer (Red Album)
9. She & Him – Volume One
8. Little Joy – Little Joy
7. The Kills – Midnight Boom
6. Okkervil River – The Stand Ins
5. Mates of State – Re-Arrange Us
4. Conor Oberst – Conor Oberst
3. Santogold – Santogold
2. Ra Ra Riot – The Rhumb Line
1. Bon Iver – For Emma, Forever Ago
I had a difficult time deciding between Bon Iver and Ra Ra Riot as my #1 favorite album of the year. For a long time, I was dead set that The Rhumb Line was my shit. And up until about three weeks ago, it was. Then I really started listening to For Emma, Forever Ago and it suddenly just hit me. Goddammit, it’s just one of those records that gets to me. Sheesh, I can’t explain it any better than all those other people who’ve been gushing over it since it came out. It really is that good.
Until next year . . .
(I’ve got $75 worth of gift cards for iTunes so I’m definitely ready for the new music of 2009!)